Monday, February 1, 2010

I love Mahi-Mahi

As many of you who know me or read this blog on occasion may have guessed, I love food. However, fish is usually not high on the list of my favorites. Mahi-mahi is one fish I can say I love to eat.

I first tried mahi-mahi while I was living in the Monterey, CA area. We were eating at a nice little restaurant on old Fisherman's Wharf (Monterey not San Fan), and I decided to try something new. The mahi-mahi was amazing. When it is fresh, the texture is similar to an extra tender and moist poultry. Also like poultry, the flesh has light and dark meat. The flavor is much like any white meat (no it does not taste like chicken. Only chicken taste like chicken).

Unfortunately, the is no coast in Northeastern Colorado; therefore, we must buy frozen mahi-mahi. The texture of the frozen fish when cooked is still moist and tender, but it does flake somewhat like other fish. I would love to say that the taste does not suffer, but there is not a frozen meat that is truly as good as the fresh. Having said that, frozen mahi-mahi is still quite delicious.

So, how do you cook it? There are many ways to enjoy mahi-mahi. All you really have to do is go to the Foodnetwork website (CLICK HERE) and search for mahi-mahi. There is a ton of recipes (it is also a good site for other recipes). Last night, we had a marvelous Thyme and Sesame Encrusted Mahi-Mahi. The marine and crust enhanced the subtle flavor of the fish. Normally, I would post the recipe myself but due to copyright consideration and easy of finding it, I figured I would just post the link. So, if you want to see the recipe, just click here. It will be well worth you time. Now, doesn't that look yummy?

A few notes: The photo is from Foodnetwork.com The original recipe is for Pacific Halibut, but it calls for halibut or mahi-mahi.

No comments:

Post a Comment