Thursday, February 4, 2010

My day at the VA or An arguemnt against a single payer system

Well, today I was scheduled to have knee surgery at the VA hospital. It was a basic arthroscope with possibility of a lateral release. An easy in and out. So, I got there at 6:30am (0630hrs for you military types), got ready, laid down and waited, and waited and waited. After about eight hours, I was informed that I would not be able to get my surgery today because an emergency arose last night. Oh, I forgot to mention that we had to drive nearly two hour each way and Michelle, my wife, had to take off from work. Also special arrangements had to be made for our son on short notice.

It was a little upsetting, but lets look at this situation in the single payer paradigm. Currently, most hospitals make their money from insurance providers or individuals for services rendered. If a "normal" hospital made a patient wait and then cancel a procedure, most people would refuse to pay for anything or demand the service. Insurers wouldn't pay for anything. The hospital would loose money. On the other hand with care providers receiving a government salary (which would eventually happen with a single payer system) there is no economic need to make sure services are rendered. In other words, you could get bumped or put on a lower priority because of an emergency.

Now, I must say that I choose to use the VA medical services. I earned it, and I am choosing to use it. But that is my point. I currently have a choice. With health-care reform as it stands, and even more so with a single payer system, that choice may soon be gone.

1 comment: