Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life's little set backs

Yesterday afternoon, I received some irritating news. It is probably not prudent to go into details at this time (Remember, I am a menace to society), but the basically I continue to face set back with my VA claim. The news, as all bad news from the VA tends to, sent me into dark, empty doldrums (kind of like the tollbooth book I was supposed to read in sixth grade, but that is another story).

So why does it hit me so hard? Well first of all, the VA is treating me for PTSD. I can't say for sure that I have PTSD, but upon returning from Iraq I experienced anxiety (especially in crowded locations), bursts of anger, and some depression. The medication and vigorous exercise help manage these problems most of the time. However, stress (no surprise here) can cause the emotions to rear their ugly head. (Mind you I am not talking about average response to stimuli. It wasn't irritation; it was borderline rage. With medication I still get sad, and that is a good thing). For some reason VA letters cause me more stress then they should.Are these setbacks my fault? Not entirely, but I could have helped mitigate the problems I now face.

In the book Peaks and Valleys author Spencer Johnson MD explains how we all have high and low points in life, and that we can influence how long we experience these times in our lives. Instead of a long how to with steps and exact guidance, Dr. Johnson wisely teaches the lesson by means of a charming story. The reader can take what is said, and see how it applies the his/her own life.

So, what does this book have to do with my struggles? I think I have learned from it. Yesterday, I was not in a valley; I was in a sink hole that seemingly gave way under my feet. So what did I do? I would be lying if I said I didn't lie at the bottom of that hole, rubbing my sore head and complaining to myself about how badly my back ached. I even vented my frustration at the hole.

Last night, I took the maximum prescribed dose of my medication to help with the depression I was feeling (I know that that is not an option for most people, but a hot bath or other relaxation is an option), and this morning I contacted the DAV (Disabled American Veterans). Things aren't fixed yet, but my outlook is. I recommend the book to anyone. The link to Dr. Johnson's website is: http://www.spencerjohnson.com/ Check the book out.

-Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment