Friday, September 11, 2009

What Does Today Mean to You?

It's September 11, 2009. It is the eighth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. I think that 9/11/01 will be remembered for some time, the same as December 6, 1941. The news media has been talking about the anniversary, and the History Channel has been showing documentaries. People will remember this year and I'm they will next year. So, what does it all mean to you? How did you change that day and those days that followed?

My mind set changed that day. As I arrived at school that day (I was teaching back then), braking news came over the radio that the first tower had been hit by an airplane. I turned off my car, and walked inside, thinking that it had been a terrible accident and not knowing about the second plane. My first hour class was oblivious to the attack, but my second hour class watch the replay in their first our class. For the rest of the day, the students were frightened and worried that they might be next. The freshman especially seemed immune to all logic that they were safe. Our town was in the middle of nowhere, and being the home of an international sheepdog trial never made it a target for terrorists. Even so, I started to realize that our security as a nation was something that I took for granted. I also started to think seriously about joining the military in the days and weeks that followed.

As far as security goes, my view was shattered. I knew we had enemies, but who would dare attack us on our own soil? I grew up in the time of Ronald Reagan; no one would mess with the USA, at least not at home. That all changed that day. I realized that my students no longer had the sense of security that I grew up with. I also started to see that I had taken my country for granted. Patriotism swelled in my heart and mind. I wanted to serve my country, and help make the world a better place. I joined the Army, in large part, because of those feelings.

So, what about today? What are we doing to serve our country today? Many of my buddies are still serving in the military; at least one of them is back in Iraq now with the National Guard. Do we truly honor and support these men and women? Do we vote? Voting is not just a right, I feel that it is an obligation. If we don't vote, we are not heard and the government does not need to answer to us (We, the People). Do we get involved in state and local politics? I really have not, but I need to and so do you. Do we provide service to our community? Help out at schools? Participate in services through religious or civic organizations? Pick up litter and throw it away? Whatever it is, do something to better your community, and don't do it just today or tomorrow. Do it on a regular basis.

And ask yourself, "What does today mean to me?" everyday.

-Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment