Friday, October 23, 2009

Finalized Paint for the Old Huffy

Well, I finally got the finalized paint scheme done. After letting the paint cure for a while, I wet sanded the bike using 320 grit to knock down the ridges left by the previous graphics. I then smoothed it up with 600 grit.

After the sanding, I laid down some pink and brown on the frame. I painted the chain guard with a blue and pink fade. I waited three days, to allow the paint to cure, before laying out the graphics. I used positive masking to lay out the graphics (I was going for a sort of beachy pseudo-tribal feel). I then laid down the blue on the frame and brown on the chain guard. I was pretty happy with how things looked after unmasking it. More importantly, Michelle really likes how it has turned out so far. I plan to clear coat it some time next week.
Now comes the more straight forward part of fixing up the bike, mechanical. I need to replace at least one spoke and put on a new chain. Everything needs cleaned up and lubed. The changes will be less visually dramatic, but more more important than the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment