Friday, October 16, 2009

Why do I exercise?

Why do I exercise? I have to admit that health benefits and looking good are part of it. I also like feeling strong and pushing myself. Part of it is that physical fitness is an important aspect of Army life, and I guess it just becomes part of who you are. Also, the gym is the main place where I socialize. (Being unemployed, I don't have work friends and only socializing on Facebook would be pitiful).

Are those the main reasons? Is that what really motivates my near obsession with the gym? No. Quite frankly, I go for my mental health. The VA is treating my with medication for PTSD. I don't really know if that is my problem or not, but the meds have helped. I know that I was angry most of the time when I got back from Iraq. I couldn't stand being in crowded places, and felt generally depressed. After starting medication, I noticed that I was nice, more mellow and happier if I exercised for about an hour or so two to three times a week. I felt even better if I got five good work outs in. This summer, I found that if I went a week without working out I got very disagreeable (OK, more like down right pissy). So I work out for my family and possibly for my sanity.

So why do I hit the weights so hard? My parents think I lift too much. Well, what am I suposed to do? The doctors at the VA have told me not to run because of my knees. My patellas rub against my tibias causing pain. Thinking about it that way I really shouldn't run.

So, there you have it. I use weights like other people use drugs and booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment