Monday, October 26, 2009

More on Country Crust Bread

I the past, I have used 5 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour to make a wheat country crust bread. A while back I tried using straight whole wheat, and the resulting dough was very sticky and hard to work with. The bread turned out ok (though it was quite tasty).

I discussed the results with my brother, John, and we came up with the idea of using oatmeal. Mind you, it can no longer be called whole wheat, but it is whole grain. So to modify the country crust bread recipe that was previously posted for whole grain goodness, use 5 cups whole wheat flour (I like stone ground) and 1 1/2 cups rolled oats in place of the 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 cups of all purpose flour. CLICK HERE to see the recipe. Also, brown sugar works real well in place of white sugar (just make sure it is a packed 1/2 cup and drop the honey).

No comments:

Post a Comment