Thursday, October 8, 2009

Bike Update

I know it has been a while since I last made a posting, and even longer since I made an update on the bike.
As you can see, I have started painting. Most of the old nasty black paint came off rather easily, but some was extra stubborn. I ended up using aircraft stripper to get the rest off.I laid three coats of primer, and then wet sanded it with 320 grit. Then, I laid an additional two coats of primer and hit it with the 320 again and followed it up with 600 grit. After cleaning off the sanding residue, I laid two coats of light blue Rustoleum.

You may notice that, in the first picture, only part of the frame was painted blue. Originally, I was going to paint most of the bike brown with blue arches and a blue and brown plaid pattern on the neck and forks. Well, it is my wife's bike and she had some different ideas. After some discussion, we decided to paint the thin tubing blue and give the thicker tubes the plaid graphics. Right now, the paint is curing in the basement (the temperature is in the mid 30's). I plan to tape up the frame tomorrow, and hopefully get the graphics painted as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment